Safeway has amazing deals this week and I had some great coupons from the Safeway Lifestyle (Regional Mailer) coupon book so I decided to put my skills to the test! On my shopping trip, I managed to get $266.97 worth of groceries for $1.35 out-of-pocket!
My strategy for this trip was fairly simple: I wanted to hit the $50 threshold to be able to use the $10 Off $50 Coupon and hit the $20 threshold for the FREE item coupons (which all have a minimum $20 basket).
I found that the FREE items all added up to $27.12 this week so all I had to do with fill my basket with at least $12.88 of “other” items and $10 of whatever (FREE w/ $10 Off 50) to be able to use the $10 Off $50.
I wanted my basket composition to look like this:
This week, we’ve had some great deals on Cracker Jack (no longer works), Ocean Spray, and Herbal Essences which are all FREE after coupon so I decide to use those items as my the $12.88 of “other” items.
Ocean Spray 100% Citrus Juice 99¢
Use: $1/1 Ocean Spray 100% Citrus Juice (6/2 RP)*
Final Price: FREE
* Coupon says 64 oz. +, but they changed the size down to 60 oz. They’ve acknowledged on Facebook that this is okay usage:
Herbal Essences $2.49* (Limit 4)
Use: $5/2 Clairol Products (7/7 P&G)
Stack with: In-ad Coupon for $2.49 Price
Final Price: FREE
Here’s the breakdown of the scenario I came up with:
The items that were FREE with the Safeway Lifestyle (Regional Mailer) coupon book were as follows:
- Safeway Refreshe Water, 24 Pack ($2.50)
- Safeway Cran-Raspberry Juice ($1.99)
- Bright Green Liquid Dish Soap ($2.69)
- Best Shot Energy ($4.00)
- Safeway Kitchen White Bread Loaf ($1.99)
- Safeway French Bread ($1.99)
- Safeway Italian Wedding Soup ($4.99)
- Snack Artist Chips ($1.99)
- Snack Artist Créme Cakes ($1.99)
- Safeway Peanut Butter ($2.99)
All of the above items add up to $27.12 before coupons, but after the club card discounts.
Next, I filled up my basket with:
- 8 x Ocean Spray 100% Citrus Juice (8 x 99¢)
- 4 x Herbal Essences (4 x $2.49 w/ In-ad Coupon)
These were purchases I knew that would be FREE after coupons, but would help me hit the threshold ($40) so that I could buy what I wanted for the $10/$50.
Lastly, I picked up:
- 2 x V05 Shampoo/Conditioner (2 x $2.29)
- 1 x Pack of Primo Taglio Turkey Lunchmeat (1 x $4.00*)
- 2 x Lucerne Greek Yogurt (2 x 50¢*)
- 1 x O Organics Baby Spinach (50¢ w/ $2/1 Coupon*)
* These were special pricing with coupons out of the Safeway Lifestyle (Regional Mailer) coupon book.
The reason why I bought the V05 was because there is a Try Me FREE (up to $5) rebate for these and my “overage” from the $10 Off $50 Coupon would pay for them–making my transaction a MONEY MAKER!
My total out-of-pocket for this transaction was $1.35 (-3¢ subtotal + $1.38 tax) for a $84.78 savings and 100% savings value! The subtotal should’ve been 9¢, but they did not adjust down the 1¢ for each of the Ocean Spray and Herbal Essences coupons.
After this, I hit two Safeway stores since I had a lot of Ocean Spray coupons and snagged up 49 more bottles, most of which I gave away.
Three stores. Three transactions. $265.59 (100%) savings. $3.23 Money Maker.
For more Safeway deals, click here.